This simple crab-and-egg pasta sauce has an intriguing sweetness. Use any broad long pasta if you don’t have fettuccine.
- 12 oz (340 g) fettuccine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Belgian endives, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt (approx.)
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked crabmeat, drained (about 7 oz / 200 g)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) 10% cream
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped parsley or chives
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions in unsalted boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup/250 mL of the cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté shallots and garlic until softened, about 2 minutes. Add endives and salt; sauté until endives are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in crabmeat; heat through, about 1 minute. Add pasta and 3/4 cup/175 mL of the pasta cooking liquid. Cook, stirring, until only half of the liquid remains. Reduce heat to low.
3. Beat together eggs, cream, pepper, nutmeg and salt. Stir into pasta; cook, stirring, until very hot but not simmering. If mixture feels thick, add some of the remaining pasta cooking liquid.
4. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Serve immediately.
If dealing with a food allergy, intolerance or sensitivity or special dietary needs for a medical condition, always check the label of processed foods (including spices and condiments) to ensure that they’re free of potentially harmful ingredients. If you have any doubt about a product’s ingredients, contact the manufacturer.