- 2 smoked/ chorizo sausages
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion or 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 Cubanelle peppers, chopped, or 2 green bell peppers, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) turkey or chicken stock
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh sage
- Corn Bread:
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) cornmeal
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) buttermilk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) bacon fat, melted, or olive oil
Corn Bread: In 375F/190C oven, heat 8- or 9-inch/20 or 23 cm cast-iron skillet.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt; in separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and 2 tbsp/30 mL of the fat.
Pour egg mixture into cornmeal mixture; lightly whisk until thoroughly blended. Pour remaining fat into pan to heat; scrape batter into pan. (If you don't have a cast-iron skillet, mix all of the bacon fat into batter; scrape into greased 8-inch/2 L square metal cake pan.) Return pan to centre of oven; bake until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes; invert onto rack and let cool completely. Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 1 day or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Crumble corn bread into large bowl. Quarter chorizo lengthwise, then slice into chunks.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry chorizo until fragrant and oil is coloured. Add onion, garlic and celery; fry, stirring often, until softened. Add peppers and salt; fry until softened. Stir in paprika; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Scrape over corn bread and toss together.
In separate bowl, beat egg with stock; stir egg mixture, parsley and sage into stuffing.
Makes 12 cups (3 L).