- 1 bunch rapini or broccoli
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried currants or chopped raisins
- 1 lb (500 g) whole wheat spaghetti or other pasta
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) shredded Romano cheese or other pecorino cheese
In large pot of boiling salted water, blanch rapini (if using broccoli, peel stems first) until tender; drain, chill under cold water and drain. Chop and place in large bowl; add currants.
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti according to package instructions; drain, chill under cold water and drain. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in small skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; add garlic, salt and hot pepper. Fry for 30 seconds; add pine nuts and fry, stirring, until garlic and nuts are slightly darkened, about 2 minutes. Pour over rapini and currants; toss in spaghetti, lemon juice and remaining oil. Sprinkle with cheese.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.