- 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural (not homogenized) peanut butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) peanut, sesame or vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) hot pepper flakes
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice or cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce or light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 lb (500 g) Chinese wheat noodles or spaghetti or linguine
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded skinless cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) julienned cucumber
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Coriander sprigs
Place peanut butter in heatproof bowl.
In small skillet, heat peanut oil over low heat; add garlic, hot pepper and salt, and fry until garlic is softened and very fragrant and oil is reddened, about 5 minutes. Scrape into peanut butter; with fork, thoroughly mix. Whisk in vinegar, soy and fish sauces, sesame oil and sugar; whisk in at least 1/4 cup/60 mL water, adding more, if necessary, to make thick yet easily pourable sauce. Set aside.
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles according to package instructions; drain, rinse, chill under cold water and drain. Place in individual bowls or on serving platter. Top with peanut sauce, chicken, cucumber, onions and coriander.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.