- 2-1/4 cups (550 mL) coconut milk
- 1 packet (7 g) gelatin
- 5 egg whites
- 7 tbsp (100 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- Coconut Custard Sauce:
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250) coconut milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cardamom (Substitute 1/2 tsp/2 mL vanilla extract)
- Strawberry Topping:
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) strawberries, sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- pinch each salt and cayenne pepper
In small bowl, place 1/2 cup/125 mL of the coconut milk; sprinkle gelatin over top. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat egg whites and 2 tbsp/30 mL of the sugar until stiff but not dry. Set aside.
Whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup/60 mL of the remaining coconut milk. Set aside.
In saucepan over medium heat, whisk together remaining coconut milk, cream, gelatin mixture and remaining sugar; bring to boil. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Whisk in cornstarch mixture; simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to low; thoroughly whisk in egg white mixture. Cook, stirring, until very hot (do not allow to simmer), about 4 minutes to cook egg whites. Scrape into serving dish; let cool on rack. Chill.
Coconut Custard Sauce: In saucepan, whisk all ingredients together; heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats spoon (do not allow to simmer), about 12 minutes. Strain through fine sieve into bowl; let cool. Chill.
Strawberry Topping: Stir all ingredients together. Chill, stirring once or twice.
Serve pudding with Strawberry Topping and Coconut Custard Sauce.
Makes 8 servings.