- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) candied mixed peel
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole unblanched almonds
- 4 oz (125 g) chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs and vanilla. Toss peel with 1 tbsp/15 mL of the flour; stir into batter with almonds and chocolate. Whisk together the remaining flour and baking powder; stir into batter until soft, sticky dough forms.
On lightly floured work surface, work dough into smooth ball. Divide in half; roll each into 12-inch/30 cm long log. Transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Brush tops with egg white. Bake in 350F/180C oven until tops are dry and golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes.
Transfer to cutting board; with chef's knife, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch/2 cm slices, wiping blade after each cut. Stand slices upright on baking sheet; bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Let cool on rack. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)
Makes about 2 dozen biscotti.