- 8 oz (250 g) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp (140 mL) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fruit eau-de-vie, liqueur or brandy
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder, sifted
Place chocolate in heatproof bowl. In saucepan, heat cream with butter over medium-low heat until butter melts and bubbles form around edge of pan. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Whisk in eau-de-vie, brandy or liqueur of choice. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
Drop rounded teaspoonfuls (5 mL) onto 2 waxed paper–lined baking sheets, rolling each one gently to round off completely. Freeze until hard, about 1 hour. Roll in cocoa powder.
Makes about 32 truffles.
Variation: Chocolate-Dipped Truffles
In heatproof bowl set over hot, not boiling water, melt 12 oz (375 g) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped. Omit rolling in cocoa powder. Using 2 forks, dip truffles one by one in melted chocolate. Transfer to rack or waxed paper; let stand until hardened.