- 1 cup and 2 tbsp (250 mL and 30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup less 1 tbsp (110 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) strong room-temperature coffee
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried tart cherries, halved
- 3 oz (90 g) bittersweet (70%) chocolate, melted
In bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and baking soda and powder.
In separate bowl, stir buttermilk with coffee. In large bowl, beat together sugar, egg and oil until smooth and light, about 2 minutes; stir in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, making 3 additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk mixture. Stir in cherries and two-thirds of the chocolate.
Into each of 12 lined or lightly oiled muffin cups, spoon 1/4 cup/60 mL of the batter. Bake in centre of 350/180C oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Let cool completely on rack; remove from tins and drizzle remaining chocolate over tops.
Makes 12 cupcakes.