- Easy recipes
- Fibre Rich
- Lactose free
- Low calorie
- Nut free
- Peanut free
- Prenatal pick
- Full of Veg
Fresh seasonal peas and arugula are so tasty that this soup needs no broth or cream -- it’s utterly delicious on its own.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- Pinch white pepper
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) shelled fresh peas (about 2-1/2 lb / 1.25 kg unshelled)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped arugula leaves and tender stems
1. In saucepan over medium, heat oil. Add onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring twice, until vegetables are very soft, about 20 minutes.
2. Pour in 4 cups/1 L water; bring to a boil over high heat. Add peas and sugar; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until peas are tender, 3 to 8 minutes, depending on size of peas.
3. Stir in arugula; remove from heat. With immersion blender or in batches in blender, puree. Chill.
TIP: Buy fresh field-grown bunched arugula, not baby arugula, so you can include the flavourful tender stems.
Originally titled "Cool Pea and Arugula Soup" in the June/July 2012 issue of Fresh Juice.
If dealing with a food allergy, intolerance or sensitivity or special dietary needs for a medical condition, always check the label of processed foods (including spices and condiments) to ensure that they’re free of potentially harmful ingredients. If you have any doubt about a product’s ingredients, contact the manufacturer.