- 12 oz (375 g) flank steak
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground cloves and cinnamon
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ketchup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sambal oelek (Asian chili paste)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped cabbage
- 2 cups (500 mL) gailan (Chinese broccoli) or broccoli cut into 2-inch/5 cm pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) peanut or vegetable oil
- 3 shallots or 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 -inch (2.5 cm) piece gingerroot, thinly sliced
- 1 to 3 hot peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) shrimp paste or 1 tbsp/15 mL fish sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced carrots
- Half red sweet pepper or green sweet pepper, sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) roasted peanuts, coarsely ground
- 1 cup (250 mL) bean sprouts, roots pinched off
Slice steak lengthwise (with grain) into 2 equal pieces; slice each half thinly across grain into 1/8-inch/3 mm thick slices.
Mix steak well with 1 tbsp/15 mL water, 1 tbsp/15 mL of the soy sauce, cornstarch, chili powder, coriander, black pepper, cloves and cinnamon.
In separate bowl, mix together 1/3 cup/75 mL water with remaining soy sauce, ketchup, sambal oelek and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
In wok or skillet over high heat, bring about 4 cups/1 L salted water to boil; add cabbage and boil for 2 minutes. Add gailan and boil until just tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain; chill under cold water and drain again.
In dry wok over high heat, add oil and heat until hazing over top; add steak and fry, stirring, just until brown on outside, 30 to 60 seconds. Drain through fine sieve over heatproof bowl.
Return 3 tbsp/45 mL oil to wok; add shallots, garlic, ginger and hot peppers, and fry until shallots are golden, about 1 minute. Stir in shrimp paste and stir-fry for 20 seconds. Add carrots and red pepper; stir-fry until tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-high; stir in ketchup mixture. Add cabbage, gailan and peanuts; bring to boil and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Increase heat to high; add bean sprouts and steak, and toss together a few times, then transfer to serving dish.
Makes 4 servings.