- 3 lb (1.5 kg) chicken pieces, or 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken stock
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) halved green or black olive
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 jar (12 oz/340 mL) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry chicken, skin side down, until browned. Reduce heat to medium, turn chicken and cook, covered, until no longer pink inside and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 12 to 15 minutes. Turn over chicken; fry until skin is crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to warm platter.
Drain off all but 1 tbsp/15 mL of oil from skillet; fry garlic for 20 seconds. Add vinegar; cook until reduced to 2 tsp/10 mL, about 20 seconds. Stir in stock, olives, tomato paste and roasted red peppers; cook until sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley; cook for 30 seconds. Pour over chicken.
Makes 4 servings.