A light tahini dressing makes a very tasty cold pasta sauce. Pasta made from brown rice is gluten-free and has a nice texture when served as a salad. Look for it in the organic and health food aisles of your supermarket if it’s not on the regular pasta shelves.
- 1 sweet green pepper
- 1 sweet yellow pepper (or orange or red pepper)
- 1 cucumber, peeled (if desired), cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb (450 g) brown rice short pasta (penne, fusili, macaroni, etc.)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) black olives
- Tahini Dressing:
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tahini
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2-1/2 tbsp (40 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- Pinch pepper
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced parsley
1. Grill whole green and yellow peppers, covered, on greased grill over medium heat, turning often, until charred, 10 to 12 minutes. Place in covered bowl and let cool. Peel, seed and cut into strips.
2. Meanwhile, toss cucumber with salt; let sit 30 minutes. Squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
3. Meanwhile, in pot of boiling water, blanch tomatoes for 20 seconds; chill under cold water and drain. Peel.
4. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Chill under cold running water and drain well.
5. For Tahini Dressing, with fork, whisk together tahini, oil, lemon juice, salt, paprika, cumin, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Whisk in 3 tbsp/45 mL water to make a runny sauce; stir in parsley.
6. Toss together peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, pasta, olives and Tahini Dressing until mixed well.
TIP: You can prepare the vegetables and tahini dressing ahead of time, but it’s best to not refrigerate cooked pasta, so prepare the pasta shortly before serving time.