- 1-1/2 lbs (750 g) skinless boneless chicken
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Half cinnamon stick
- 3 green hot peppers, cut into 4 pieces each
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh coriander
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) biryani or other Indian curry paste
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each black pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 to 3 zucchini (about 1 lb/500 g), cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Garam masala
- 1 green hot pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves
Cut chicken into 1-1/2-inch/4 cm chunks; set aside.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry onions until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add cinnamon, hot peppers, garlic, minced coriander, curry paste, ginger, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken; sauté until chicken is seared and well coated with spices, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, zucchini, yogurt and salt; stir-fry until juices start running from tomatoes, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 tbsp/30 mL water and cover; simmer, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 8 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and garam masala; cook for 1 minute. Transfer to serving plate; sprinkle with hot pepper (if using) and coriander leaves.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.