- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced cucumber
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced red onion
- 2 large or 3 medium ripe avocados, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried mint or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Pinch pepper
1. If not pre-rinsed, rinse quinoa in fine sieve under cold running water. In saucepan, bring to a boil with 1-1/2 cups/375 mL water. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Fluff with fork. Let stand covered for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix cucumber with salt; let stand for 20 minutes. In separate bowl, soak onion in cold water for 20 minutes. Rinse cucumber under cold running water; drain onion.
3. For Dressing, in small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, vinegar, mint, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
4. In large bowl, combine quinoa, cucumber, onion, avocados, green pepper and parsley. Mix well with dressing.