- 1 oz (30 g) dried porcini, black trumpet, chanterelle and/or shiitake mushrooms
- 2 lb (900 g) boneless stewing beef
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) stout or dark ale
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped inner ribs celery, with leaves
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) peeled chestnuts
- 1 celery root, cut in chestnut-size chunks
- 3 carrots, sliced in chestnut-size chunks
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh thyme or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 12 oz (340 g) white or cremini mushrooms
1. Soak dried mushrooms in 1-1/2 cups/375 mL warm water until softened; reserving liquid, drain. Chop mushrooms; set aside.
2. Sprinkle beef with black pepper. In skillet over high, heat oil; in batches, brown beef well all over and set aside in bowl. Pour off any fat from skillet; deglaze skillet with stout, scraping up browned bits. Pour over beef.
3. In Dutch oven over medium-high, melt 3 tbsp/45 mL of the butter; add onions and fry, stirring often, until golden brown. Add garlic, celery and chopped dried mushrooms; fry until celery is soft.
4. Stir in sugar, allspice, salt, white pepper and bay leaf; fry for 1 minute. Stir in beef mixture, soy sauce and reserved mushroom liquid; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Stir in chestnuts, celery root, carrots and thyme; return to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in non-stick skillet, brown white mushrooms in remaining butter. Add to stew and simmer until all ingredients are tender, 15 to 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Variation: Autumn Beef and Kidney Stew
Reduce beef to 1-1/2 lb/675 g. Halve a beef kidney lengthwise and remove most of the fat. Cut into cubes; soak in 1/2 cup/125 mL milk for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp/1 mL black pepper. Brown with beef. Proceed as above.