You’ll get rave reviews for this light seasonal salad.
- 1 lb (450 g) asparagus (about 1 bunch)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) premade baba ghanoush
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) crème fraîche or 14% sour cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pine nuts, toasted
1. Peel the lower third of each asparagus stalk to remove the fibrous layer.
2. Run peeler several times along the whole length of each stalk to make ribbons. If any tips break off, slice them thinly with a knife.
3. Place in heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Drain at once; chill under cold water and drain. Pat dry.
4. In bowl, combine baba ghanoush, crème fraîche, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss in asparagus ribbons to coat.
5. Top with pine nuts. Serve immediately.
TIP: You can prepare the asparagus up to one day ahead. After patting the ribbons dry, refrigerate them in a bowl tightly covered with plastic wrap. Toss with remaining ingredients just before serving.
If dealing with a food allergy, intolerance or sensitivity or special dietary needs for a medical condition, always check the label of processed foods (including spices and condiments) to ensure that they’re free of potentially harmful ingredients. If you have any doubt about a product’s ingredients, contact the manufacturer.