- 2 poblano peppers (or 1 green sweet pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded)
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) chicken or vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each butter and vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) long-grain rice
1. In blender, puree peppers, spinach, cilantro, salt and stock; set aside.
2. In large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat; fry onion and garlic until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in rice; fry, stirring, until oil is absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour in spinach mixture and 1-1/2 cups/375 mL water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook on low until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.